History of the town
Pietro Negroni
Rutilio Benincasa
The Churches
S. Nicola
S. Maria
Culture and Tradiction
  Festa of Immacolata
Festa of Immacolata
Life in the town
Old pictures





The Church of Santa Maria is the oldest of the town, it is out of the residential area, a cemetery is next to it since the beginning of the 1900s. It is a very small Church, the origins are not known, some believe it dates back to the 1400s but what is visible to day is of the 1700s

It is of simple construction a window is over the sandstone arched door and above that is a niche with a bell. In the 1980s the exterior has been refurbished and painted white, in the interior a terracotta floor was installed along with other work because it had been abandoned for many years.

The interior consists of a single nave, over the main Altar adorned with plaster decorations is a canvas of the Madonna and Child, on the left side of the Altar is a statue of Santa Maria, on the right is one of Baby Jesus. Another Altar on the right of the main nave is dedicated to the Madonna del Rosario, depicted in a canvas by the painter Tangredi, dated 1934. A statue of the Madonna del Rosario is in a niche on the side of this Altar.

In the Church was also a painting of the painter Pietro Negroni of the 1500s which, for safety reasons, has been brought to the Dioceses in Cosenza.

This little Church has an important role in the history of the town since it was the only one left during the reconstruction of the Church of S. Nicola, destroyed by the earthquake of 1905. Because of the small size of the Church and the limited seating capacity, anybody who wanted a seat during Mass in that period had to pay a fee which would go toward the building fund of the new Church. 

Mass is still  celebrated there in the month of November, dedicated to the deceased and in the month of May, dedicated to the Madonna. In the past the feast of Santa Maria was celebrated from it on September 8.





~ on line dal 10 Ottobre 2005 ~

Created by Valentina & Lorenzo Coscarella