Home

History of the town
 
Pietro Negroni
Rutilio Benincasa
   
The Churches
 
S. Nicola
 
S. Maria
     
Culture and Tradiction
  Festa of Immacolata
   
Images
 
Town
 
Festa of Immacolata
 
Life in the town
 
Old pictures

 

CHURCH DI SAN NICOLA

 

The Church of S. Nicola was reconstructed in the 1920-30. The old Church which was where the town square is now, was destroyed during the earthquake of 1905, the new one, built closer to the residential area, was started in 1914 but construction stopped several times. In 1922 the corner stone was blessed and construction was completed on December 6, 1930. It was consecrated by bishop Nogara on September 27, 1936, the day of the feast of the Immaculate Conception.

From the time of the earthquake in 1905 until completion of the new Church the religious functions took place in the ancient little Church of Santa Maria which remained intact. Construction was almost completely financed by local donations.

The new Church is of plain construction with a gabbled roof line, over the door is a niche with a stone statue of S. Nicola. The interior consists of a single nave with a semicircular Chapel on each side, one dedicated to S.Antonio di Padova and the other to the Immacolata. The main Altar, of 1930-31, is of carrara marble at the base and wood on top, so are the Altars of the side Chapels. In the Church is, among others, a wood statue of the Immacolata of the 1700s, the Patron of the town and a canvas of S.Nicola di Bari, also a wood pulpit and a marble Baptismal Font, both of 1935. Statues of S.Nicola, S. Antonio and The Addolorata of the 1920-30 are also in the Church.

L’interno della chiesa di San Nicola è ad unica navata con un’abside che si apre alla sua fine. Altre due cappelle semicircolari, dedicate a Sant’Antonio di Padova ed all’Immacolata, si trovano lungo le pareti laterali. L’altare maggiore, del 1930-31, è in marmo di Carrara nella parte bassa, ed in legno dipinto nella parte alta. Di fattura simile sono gli altari delle cappelle laterali. Nella chiesa sono custodite la statua lignea settecentesca dell’Immacolata, patrona di Borgo, ed una tela raffigurante San Nicola di Bari. Vi sono poi un pulpito in legno dipinto ed un fonte battesimale in marmo, entrambi del 1935, e varie statue processionarie degli anni ’20 e ’30, tra cui San Nicola, Sant’Antonio e l’Addolorata.

Next to this Church is another one (built later) of the Madonna di Fatima. The two are separated by a bell tower.

 

 

GALLERY

 

~ on line dal 10 Ottobre 2005 ~

Created by Valentina & Lorenzo Coscarella